Winds of Ike

Hay I finally have electricity again after several days without it.  I am so inspired now that I have a computer up and running again, that I intend on updating this blog more often now.  I thought I would start my renewed dedication to this blog with my story of our recent and crazy wind storm which was actually the remnants of Hurricane Ike.

It was Sunday and we decided to go for a small family outing.  It was just me, my wife Katy, and our, now 18 month old daughter Abby.  We were going to the book store and maw maw told us to be careful because of the wind advisories.  I have driven in strong winds before and I thought I knew what to expect.  The drive wasn’t bad, but the winds were really picking up by the time we got to the book store Borders on Taylorsville Road.  As I was getting Abby out of her car seat, the wind blew the car door against me and that was just the beginning.  It was a nice sunny day otherwise, and the wind felt very nice.  I held Abby up in the air and she pretended to be and airplane.  When we got into the store, the outer section has some bargain books and we were checking those out until the wind blew the doors open and starting blowing books off the shelves.  We decided that inside the store would be a little safer.  As we browsed the isles, or more accurately, I chased Abby around, the lights went off.  There must have been a generator giving juice to a few lights and the large windows made it possible to still shop around in the dark store.  Katy couldn’t find the book she was looking for, but we found a cool book for Abby whose cover had and elephant riding a bicycle: two of her favorite things!  After purchasing the book we went out to face the winds again.  It was still feeling very nice and I put Abby on my shoulders, but just then, lots of debris and several branches came at us from the trees in the parking lot.  This is when we started getting a little scared.  Abby must have got hit by some debris and she wanted off the shoulders right away.  Many street lights were already out and it was obvious that Borders wasn’t the only place without power.  We did find a Starbucks who had power and couldn’t resist stopping.  The rest of the trip home was pretty crazy.  We saw a firetruck tending to a downed power line which had set a bush aflame right next to a gas station.  There was a power line hanging across the Waterson Expressway creating a horrible traffic jam in both directions, but we were fortunate enough to go under that mess and escape many hours of waiting in the car with a tired Abby.  Several large trees had already fallen and this wind storm was proving to be very serious.  We finally made it to maw maw’s house via a gauntlet of back streets which weren’t blocked by fallen trees or power lines.  Our electricity was off for a few days, but many are still without power.   We had to empty out the entire refrigerator, but that was sort of a blessing in disguise because it really needed to be done anyway.

We were blessed to escape major damage, and our thougts and prayers go out to those who suffered losses during the storm, and to those still without power.


~ by jimmymusic on September 18, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: